Responding to the call of the prophet Isaiah: “My house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples” (Is. 56) and animated by the spirit of our patron, St. Francis of Assisi, we, the Christian community of the St. Francis Prayer Center, thus envision our unique mission:
- To offer a process of spirituality for and by laity and religious that is scriptural, contemporary, and socially responsible.
- To affirm the spiritual leadership of lay men and lay women by developing the art of spiritual direction in those called by Jesus to that ministry.
- To serve as a crossroads where people of all ethnic, racial, economic and denominational backgrounds may enrich each other through their encounter.
- To promote justice, particularly by affirming the self-worth of our poor, to be a spiritual presence for them and to establish channels where their basic needs can be met, whether it be in a role of advocacy, referral or initiation.
- To share with our community the shelter of the Center as: an oasis in a spiritual wasteland… a haven for those who are alienated from other religious structures… a meeting place for groups seeking to improve the quality of life in our community.
Adopted by consensus of Volunteer Staff
February 26, 1984 (rev. 3-30-09)